By: KGD Law
Share This Post
How to Choose the Best Motorcycle Accident Attorney
No one ever expects to get into an accident, but once you have, it can be overwhelming to try to deal with all of the details yourself, especially if your life is disrupted by lack of a viable vehicle to get around with or injuries that affect your daily routine. You may already know that hiring a lawyer will be very helpful if you need to take your case to court or for navigating the complicated insurance claims process. Motorcycle accidents, especially, are often more serious and usually come with more complications.
If you were in a motorcycle accident that caused serious damage or injury or if you are unable to work as a result, it may be vitally important to you that you receive the appropriate compensation you need to cover your expenses and not go broke. An experienced attorney can help make sure you come out of the legal process with everything that you are entitled to.
Of course, if you have never had to hire a motorcycle attorney for an accident, you may be having trouble even taking that first step because you do not know what to look for in a quality lawyer. If you do not know where to start when researching motorcycle accident attorneys for your case, keep reading below to learn what are the most important things to consider when hiring a lawyer who can get you the maximum compensation you deserve.
What to Consider When Hiring a Lawyer
Technically, you could hire any attorney who is licensed in the state where your hearing is located to represent you in your motorcycle accident case. However, you should not simply choose the first lawyer you speak with or a lawyer you have used for a completely different and unrelated legal matter, even if you trust them. Just because a certain lawyer was right for you in a different case does not mean that they are the best person to handle your current situation. There are a few important things to think about when looking for a lawyer for a motorcycle accident.
- Location: There are many advertisements on billboards, television, and the internet for attorneys of every sort. If you see an ad pertaining specifically to motorcycle accidents around the time you have gotten into a wreck and need to hire a lawyer, you may be tempted to call that lawyer right away. You need to do your research first, however. Often, these types of ads are for attorneys who practice out of state or who are in a part of your state that could be several hours away from where your case will be heard. These law firms will typically refer your case to another firm in your state, but this leaves you with little choice in the attorney who will take your case. It is important to choose a lawyer or firm that practices in the city or county where your case will go to court so that you are being represented by someone who understands your local court procedures and has a relationship with the judges, clerks, and other attorneys in the area.
- Area of Practice: A lot of lawyers and legal firms are general practices, meaning they may handle cases surrounding anything from estate law to criminal defense. You would not hire a generalist who usually works on cars but has done basic maintenance on a couple of bikes to do an intensive repair or tricky modification on your motorcycle, would you? The same applies when hiring a lawyer. An attorney who only handles the occasional motorcycle case will not have the in-depth knowledge of the law or experience in the intricacies and specifics of a motorcycle accident case. When you meet with a potential attorney, be sure to ask a lot of questions to determine how often they handle cases similar to yours.
- Reputation and Experience: You will likely want to find a lawyer who is experienced in the field with a solid track record of winning compensation, so be sure to ask about their credentials and the results they get. You should also do your own research by looking online to check reviews and testimonials from various sources. This will give you a better picture of whether their past clients have been satisfied by the attorney’s work and if they are the right person to handle your case.
How to Choose the Right Lawyer
Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of appropriate attorneys for your specific case, how do you choose the one who is right for you? It is important to meet with your lawyer in person or virtually, so you can interview them and learn how they would handle your case. The Law Offices of Kirshner, Groff, and Diaz offers free consultations, so you can discuss your situation and gather all the information you need without the pressure to commit to anything before you have even had a chance to speak with us.
You should do a little preparation before these meetings, so that you and the attorney will have all the information you need readily available and nothing gets left out. Tell the lawyer all of the details of your case and be honest. They are there to work for you, so they do not hold bias against you. Consider bringing certain documents with you, such as police reports, relevant photographs of the accident and your injuries, medical records, and work documentation that shows any lost wages or time you had to take off.
During the meeting, it is also important to assess your comfort levels with the lawyer and to make sure you have good communication. A good attorney will be attentive to your case, so if your meeting is interrupted with a lot of phone calls or other staff, this could be a sign the lawyer is too busy to handle your case at the moment. Your attorney should listen to you and welcome your questions, while making you feel comfortable.
What Questions Should You Ask?
There are numerous questions you should be prepared to ask, depending on the specifics of your case, but there are some standard ones anyone who has been in a motorcycle accident should ask at the beginning of a meeting.
- How long has the lawyer been practicing law?
- What percentage of the practice is dedicated to motorcycle law and personal injury?
- Is the attorney you are speaking with the one who will be handling your case?
- Has the attorney handled motorcycle accident cases similar to your own and how many?
- How many of the motorcycle accident cases handled by the attorney have resulted in a successful settlement?
Getting into an accident and dealing with the aftermath and recovery is hard enough. Do not let finding the best attorney for your situation be difficult as well. With the above tips, you will be able to make an informed decision about what to look for in a motorcycle accident attorney, should you ever need one. If you were the victim of a motorcycle accident and believe you could be entitled to compensation, contact the Law Offices of Kirshner, Groff, and Diaz for a no-obligation initial consultation. You will be given the opportunity to speak directly to an experienced lawyer who will be able to go over the details of your situation and direct you to the best person on our team to handle your case.